[Fontconfig] confused about semantics of $HOME/.fonts.cache-2

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Wed Jan 25 10:04:02 PST 2006

Le mercredi 25 janvier 2006 à 12:59 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> Can somebody update me about the intended semantics of
> $HOME/.fonts.cache-2. Why do we need it, when there are caches for
> all font directories in /var/cache/fontconfig and in $HOME/.fonts ?

~/.fonts.cache-2 is supposed to exist only if some informations are
missing in /var/cache/fontconfig (ie dirty cache) or if some fonts are
in ~/.fonts (cache should not be in ~/.fonts).

> I am also puzzled by this behaviour:
>
> $ rm $HOME/.fonts.cache-2
> $ fc-list :
>
> [long font listing]
>
> $ ls -l .fonts.cache-2
> -rw------- 1 mclasen mclasen 141434 Jan 25 12:57 .fonts.cache-2
>
> $ fc-cat .fonts.cache-2 | wc -l
> 144
>
> $ touch /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera
> $ fc-list :
>
> [ long font listing]
>
> $ ls -l .fonts.cache-2
> -rw------- 1 mclasen mclasen 32768 Jan 25 12:58 .fonts.cache-2
>
> $ fc-cat .fonts.cache-2 | wc -l
> 0
>

> What is going on here ?

I think you just hit one of the various cache bugs we are investigating
with Patrick and Mike. Try removing all files in /var/cache/fontconfig
and re-run fc-cache as root.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>
Mandriva