[Fontconfig] confused about semantics of $HOME/.fonts.cache-2

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 26 16:38:13 PST 2006

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Can somebody update me about the intended semantics of
> $HOME/.fonts.cache-2. Why do we need it, when there are caches for
> all font directories in /var/cache/fontconfig and in $HOME/.fonts ?

Just to confirm Frederic's answer, the fonts.cache-2 files in
/var/cache/fontconfig are directory caches, while ~/.fonts.cache-2 is a
global cache.  The directory caches are generated by fc-cache (so
regular users can't generate them), whereas the global cache is
generated on a per-user basis to handle any missing cache information
that's no in the directory caches.

> $ fc-cat .fonts.cache-2 | wc -l
> 0

Probably a bug that I've squashed.