[Fontconfig] Format of cache file are different on 32bit and 64bit system.

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 23 06:03:40 PST 2006

Zhe Su wrote:
> Hi,
>   I don't know how to make it publicly accessible. You need novell
> bugzilla account to view the bug report.
>   I'm wondering how to generate both 32bit and 64bit cache in one file
> by a 64bit fc-cache. Because we only ship 64bit fc-cache on such
> system, though both 32bit and 64bit libfontconfig are available.

That bug is now world readable.

I don't know how the 64 bit fc-cache could possibly generate a 32 bit
.fonts.cache, since it just doesn't know what the memory layout is going
to be like on the 32 bit arch.  Because of this, it seems like the best
solution is what used to work and regressed: if you have an exclusively
64 bit fonts.cache-2, then you generate a 32-bit .fonts.cache-2.  That
should be a simple bug that I should be able to fix.

Stanislav Brabec is not well-informed.  Having a local .fonts.cache-2 in
no way prevents fontconfig from using ~/.fonts.conf and from caching
local fonts.  Also, please do not patch your fontconfig to generate
.fonts.cache-2-64 and .fonts.cache-2-32.  That would be completely wrong.

pat