[Fontconfig] Re: fixed width fonts appear bold

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Wed Mar 29 01:31:18 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:22:54AM -0500, Patrick Lam wrote:
> Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> >
> >     /*
> >      * Skip over PCF fonts that have no encoded characters; they're
> >      * usually just Unicode fonts transcoded to some legacy encoding
> >      */
> >
> > So I guess this applies to cyrillic koi8-r fonts :) Or it could be that
> > I have some "incorrect" version of freetype library.
>
> It would seem that there's something fishy with those fonts.

Well, I wouldn't be able to tell what's wrong with them. At least they
appear to be working fine. Oh well, that's not as important.

> >> For a long time now I strugle with support for bitmap fonts in GTK
> >> applications. Finally I've installed newer fontconfig library (version
> >
> > I guess here, knowing of the correspondence between font name (Fixed 12)
> > and the actual file from which this font comes would be of great help.
>
> fc-list : family file might be what you want...

Thank you. With that I could find exactly the pattern for the font I'm
using in non-GTK applications. It appears to be

misc/6x13.pcf.gz: Fixed:style=SemiCondensed:spacing=110

So, I tried to specify exactly this pattern for my application, but I
still didn't get the font. Well, I tried to use FC_DEBUG=3, but got 5M
of output, so I'm not sure if I can get thru it trying to figure out why
some different font is used :) Maybe some other value would be of more
help? :) Also, could the problem be because I've compiled GTK libraries
against older version of fontconfig, though ldd reports that the binary
uses the current one (libfontconfig.so.1.0.4)?