[Fontconfig] Installation of fontconfig

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue May 2 02:51:05 PDT 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Robert Meloche wrote:

> after I execute make and I have errors : undefined reference to
> 'libiconv_open'
>                                               undefined reference to
> 'libiconv_close'
>                                               undefined reference to
> 'libiconv'

When asking for help, please be sure to provide an exact copy of the
errors, with a couple lines above and below. Usually you do not need to
provide entire config.log (and usually never config.status).

Your system probably should not have libiconv. I assume it should just use
iconv_open, iconv_close and iconv from GLIBC.

Maybe as a workaround, you can add -liconv to your LIBS, like:

LIBS=-liconv make

or:

LIBS=-liconv ./configure

(I don't think this shoujld be needed on a Debian system.)

> > I'm not familiar with linux so please HELP....!
> >
> > Here is my config.log...
>
> >From a quick look, I don't see the problem. It appears to have completed
> (configure:21937: creating ./config.status).
>
> Look that part on the config.log
>
> conftest.c:2: error: parse error before "me"
> configure:2747: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | #ifndef __cplusplus
> |   choke me
> | #endif

Those are generally normal. The job of configure is to check various for
various features on the system. It is normal (and expected) for it to have
(many) errors like above.

If you look near the specific error you quoted, you will see what it was
testing for (checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C).

As I said the the configure finished. If it had not finished, then you
would not have a Makefile in the first place.

The config.log and config.status files are usually not needed to be
attached.

 Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. Please don't attach graphics.