[Fontconfig] Sigh. What to do about per-user fonts...

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Wed May 3 20:09:03 PDT 2006

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 18:27 -0700, Patrick Lam wrote:
>
>> Right.  That works best when you don't stick cache files in ~/.fonts
>> directly, of course.
>
> Here's just the cache dir piece of the patch, without the magic
> avoid-the-rescan stuff added.
>
> It's a huge patch because it rewrites all of the cache file lookup code.
> Note that this *also* removes the collision avoidence code, which was
> busted. It should still identify collisions and fail to save the cache
> file in that case, which should be fairly harmless (just dumping stuff
> in the per-user cache). Note that MD5 is a strong hash, so this
> 'shouldn't happen'.

I noticed one problem which occurs when you run fc-cache as root and
have HOME set to a user directory.  I'll have more details (hopefully a
fix) when I next have free time on Friday or something.  Right now I'm
preparing lecture notes...

pat