[Fontconfig] fontconfig: Branch 'fc-2_4-keithp' - 6 commits

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Sep 3 12:29:23 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 13:09 -0400, James Cloos wrote:

> Keith>     Prefer Bitstream Vera to DejaVu families.
>
> Given that the glyphs that exist in Vera all exist and are hinted in
> Deja, isn't this only going to result in opening both files if glyphs
> not in Vera are required, instead of only opening Deja?

The main effect is to select Vera for the serif oblique face. Doing the
obliquing in fontconfig preserves most of the value from the hints,
making this a better looking face.

> (This isn't a rhetorical question; I could be relying on a bad
> assumption, such as how often fallbacks are used.  And I presume it
> would make more difference if there were other familied between Vera
> and Deja in the lists....)

Unfortunately, TrueType fonts are effectively required to provide Latin
glyphs, which leaves many of the non-Latin faces including truely
objectionable Latin glyphs. So, to allow DejaVu to be used for Latin
glyphs, it must be placed before all non-Latin faces.

With the ability to ban glyphs and edit language support, we can rethink
this whole issue.

Also, I would like to see the DejaVu developers split their font across
writing system boundaries so we can correctly arrange them with relation
to other fonts. Right now, when you select DejaVu for Latin, you're
forced to live with DejaVu for everything else. Ick.

It's almost as if people haven't learned the lesson of ArialUnicode yet.

keith.packard at intel.com