[Fontconfig] Installing fonts

Thomas Worthington fontconfig at tww.cx
Fri Apr 6 16:58:32 PDT 2007

Hi,
   Simple question:

How do I install a font such as Frutiger so that styles like "black",
"ultra black", and "Extra Black Condensed" actually do something? Another
example would be installing Eurostile such that "Extended #2", "Extended
#2 Bold" etc. work.

Although it is a simple question I would guess that I've put somewhere in
the region of 60 hours of work into finding or working out an answer over
the space of several years. I did have a solution in the days before the
binary font cache: I put the font files into the normal place, ran
fc-cache and then ran a Perl script over the resulting font.cache-1 files
which systematically fixed all the errors in them which prevented the
example fonts above and several dozen others working properly. With the
advent of the binary cache - apparently with no documented format - this
is no longer possible, and was never desirable anyway.

Having just moved to a new machine I thought I'd give it another try
instead of simply running the old versions from before the disasterous
change to the cache file but after another whole day wasted I give up.
What is the solution? How do I install a normal, industry-standard font on
Linux so that it just works without having to edit xml, Perl, or C code?

Gentoo amd64
Freetype 2.3.2
Fontconfig 2.4.2

Thomas Worthington