[Fontconfig] /usr/local support

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 08:39:07 PDT 2007

> > You know, some feedback would be nice. Is this the right place to send
> > patches? Is my patch okay?
>
> Seems fine to me. I didn't look at most recent source, but it also already
> looks at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts
> /usr/lib/X11/fonts and adds them if exists.

Ok thank you.

> Why not just use the configure switches?
>
> --with-default-fonts=
> --with-add-fonts=

That's the whole point: you'd have to persuade *every* distro to use
those flags if you want consistent support for /usr/local/share/fonts.

Earlier this week someone asked where to put fonts so his application
can find them and got many different answers - I would have said "just
install your application into /usr/local and everything will work",
but it won't work on every distro without this patch. Installing into
/usr is bad practice, and the suggestions that were given (install
them into a custom directory and copy to ~/.fonts at runtime, call
some fontconfig function that adds a custom search directory, ...)
seem wasteful/ugly.

>  Jeremy C. Reed

Damjan Jovanovic