[Fontconfig] ISO 15924 font selection

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Dec 4 00:42:40 PST 2007

Le Mar 4 décembre 2007 08:54, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> I really don't understand why Fraktur is a
> different script than Latin in there.

For me Fraktur is a style and it would be really nice is someone @iso
produced an official style list, so we can generalise
sans/sans-serif/etc without having to create our own
fontconfig-specific classification.

Of course that would probably require support in fontconfig for
tagging glyph ranges within a font with a local style, as I imagine
any common font spanning several unicode blocks may have different
local styles associated with each block.

I know this is anathema for the single-script font proponents, but
when packaging Greek Society fonts last week I've seen composing a
font from differently styled blocks is as old as typography
(http://www.greekfontsociety.org/pages/en_typefaces16th.html) and if
people were doing it in the 16th century they're unlikely to stop now.
And it would be nice if those kind of fonts could be supported without
fighting fontconfig all the time.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot