[Fontconfig] Fonts with multiple faces

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Dec 20 06:42:15 PST 2007

>>>>> "Donn" == Donn  <donn.ingle at gmail.com> writes:

Donn> So far I have not found one example of a font file that
Donn> has an index > 0, ...

Donn> for f in `locate .otf`; ...

I doubt there are many (any?) files in the wild with both multiple faces
and an .otf filename extension.  (It can be done, but is at best rare.)

Most of the fonts with multiple faces will have either a .ttf or (more
likely) a .ttc filename extension.  And don't forget to do a case-
insensitive search (eg `locate -i .ttc`) since most such fonts were
intended for doze and may have upercase filenames.

Based on some notes from my laptop's OEM filesystem, the TTC fonts which
shipped with doze XP were:

batang.ttc, gulim.ttc, mingliu.ttc, msgothic.ttc, msmincho.ttc, simsun.ttc

TTC, incendently, comes from the name True Type Collection.

-JimC