[Fontconfig] Fonts in arm linux

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 09:29:24 PST 2007

Hi, Naveen,

I think all that is really required in most modern Linux environments
is to install the OpenType (.ttf) fonts into a directory and run
fontconfig's "fc-cache" utility.  For example, something like this
should be enough (for system-wide installation as root):

   ~# wget http://www.sanskritweb.org/cakram/chandas.ttf
   ~# mv chandas.ttf  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/
   ~# fc-cache -v /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/

Commands such as /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir are part of the legacy X
windows font rendering system -- while the PCF, SNF, or BDF fonts
originally used by X Windows still require processing by such
commands, the X Windows legacy font processing system is useless for
Devanagari and other Indic fonts since these scripts have complex
shaping requirements that the legacy X Windows system cannot handle.
The new system used by the text shaping engines in all QT/KDE and
GTK/Gnome applications use FontConfig and FreeType.  The following
slide and notes provides a historical summary and may help you better
understand how the pieces fit together:

          http://unifont.org/iuc27/html/img18.html

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes for the New Year!