[Fontconfig] How can I make sure I get a specific bitmapped font?

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Oct 16 10:03:34 PDT 2007

Hi,

I recently upgraded a few software packages on my (Debian) machine to
newer versions which use fontconfig and related libraries for font
selection.

Unfortunately, the font that I like to use for everything that does not
require incompatible font attributes (ETL fixed) doesn't seem to be on
fontconfig's radar. I've tried using the exact wildcard-free XLFD from
the appropriate fonts.dir file, removed
/usr/share/fonts/conf.d/30-debconf-no-bitmaps.conf and replaced it with
the appropriate yes.bitmaps.conf file; wrote up a hints file to make
sure the font was registered with defoma, and tried poking around in
/var/lib/defoma (though not finding anything to change, though there
seems to be a fontconfig cache there of some sort) all to no avail.

When I specify the face
-etl-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso8859-1
I keep getting what appears to be a scalable, sans-serif, variable-width
font.

Can anyone give me any hints what I might be able to do (other than
downgrade) to get my preferred font back?

Thanks,
Kris

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/