[Fontconfig] Make GTK+ apps (and Gnome) fully respect your .fonts.conf

Erik erik at beanbasket.com
Tue Aug 5 19:39:36 PDT 2008

Well, specifically, what I had in my .fonts.conf was a default setting
of BCI full hinting for all fonts.  After that, I had configuration to
use slight hinting for specific fonts.  I found that Gnome (Cairo) apps
would not respect this, for whatever reason, whereas KDE (Qt) would.
Gnome apps would just do brute-force full-hinting of everything.  This
patch on cairo fixed the issue and things then rendered as they do in
KDE.  I actually was using MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 before starting firefox,
and now I no longer have to with the patched cairo.

Perhaps I have a unique configuration in my .fonts.conf that exposed
this.  All I know is that it works now.