[Fontconfig] Interaction of (web) document font families and fontconfig rules

karlt+freedesktop at karlt.net karlt+freedesktop at karlt.net
Tue Dec 30 15:27:45 PST 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:14:21 +0100 (CET), Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Since you're looking at this, please consider:
>
> 1. it is highly possible @font-face will generate blocking extensions
> like noscripts or flashblock eventually

In Mozilla, @font-face can be disabled completely by toggling
gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled and restarting the browser.

But yes, extensions to control use of src:url() on a per site
basis may become desirable.

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:26:44 -0500, James Cloos wrote:

> Another consideration to keep in mind is that many users configure their
> browsers to ignore the documents' font specifications and instead use a
> (set of) local fonts they prefer.
>
> Browsers must not lose that ability when adding support for @font-face.

In Mozilla, @font-face does not remove the ability for users to
disable author fonts (on Linux, at least - I haven't checked
implementations for other platforms).

This is still available through either of the following:

 Edit -> Preferences -> Content -> Advanced ->
 "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above."

 View -> Page Style -> No Style