[Fontconfig] Improving Latin font selection for CJK locales

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Jan 28 12:48:28 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 06:54 +1100, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 12:24 -0500, Ed Trager wrote:
>
> > REQUIREMENT: EXPAND DEFINITION OF LOCALE TO INCLUDE OPTIONAL ISO-15924
> > SCRIPT CODE
>
> How is this script code to be extracted from font files?

In my design it's just a target="pattern" element, helping user choose
fonts better.  Apparently we have different ideas here.

As for Ed's request, I think that thing is already supported, at least
in glibc.  One can have locales like az_IR at latn for example.  Not sure
what Pango does with that, but it's not hard to make it work.  That
probably is not valid RFC-3066 thought, so I guess pango strips @latn
part out.

--
behdad