[Fontconfig] Improving Latin font selection for CJK locales

Qianqian Fang fangq at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 28 22:40:01 PST 2008

hi Behdad

the proposed method sounds quite interesting and useful.
For font developers, I think it will add the power to fine-tune
the font selections, particularly for massaging CJK fonts with
Latin fonts. I would like to give my full support on this effort.

In addition, I am not quite sure if this could be a possible remedy
for the common-script contextual formating issue that we have
discussed earlier (please forgive me if the connection is obvious)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-fonts-list/2007-December/msg00013.html

if they are connected, can you illustrate one scenario where
this mechanism can help to constrain the fonts for Common Scripts?

thank you

Qianqian