[Fontconfig] Improving Latin font selection for CJK locales

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue Jan 29 15:59:06 PST 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> I know what I'm about to say is totally silly, but I once managed to
>> achieve what I wanted by deleting the latin characters from the Chinese
>> font altogether.  Then I found a slightly cleaner fontconfig way of
>> doing it.
>
> Actually IMO if the Latin glyph are crappy, removing them is the single
> most correct solution.

So, this works, but it would be nice if it could be specified to
fontconfig to just ignore a unicode range.

The problem with deleting characters is that some are in commercial
fonts, etc. This is particularly true with the Asian fonts.

Of course, in cases such as word processors where the font is explicitly
selected, it is preferable to use the characters that go with it.

--Pat