[Fontconfig] Nimbus Sans L Condensed

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 4 10:17:59 PST 2008

Le mardi 04 mars 2008 à 12:39 -0500, Bob Tennent a écrit :
>  >|>
>  >|> locate n019043l.pfb
>  >|>
>  >|> on any Linux system. Or
>  >|>
>  >|> xlsfonts | grep 'nimbus sans l-medium-r-condensed'.
>  >|
>  >|In other words, font in a legacy format
>
> type 1 is now a "legacy format"?

Been superceded by OTF Apple-side. Go to any web font market, new fonts
are not released as type1 nowadays (except as an afterthought). And the
switch has been even more complete for Linux FLOSS fonts.

>  >| with limited encoding coverage
>
> n019063l.pfb -urw-nimbus sans l-medium-i-condensed--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard
…
> n019063l.pfb -urw-nimbus sans l-medium-i-condensed--0-0-0-0-p-0-microsoft-cp1252

This was good 5-6 years ago, not really impressive now (also just
because you have many separate files does not mean the code blocks are
actually completely filled.

>  >| not exposed to modern apps in many distributions.
>
> This is precisely the problem. If Firefox can't even *see* the condensed
> font, web designers can't assume it's available. And web designers
> *really* want to be able to use a condensed sans serif font.

It's infortunate we have aliases for fantasy fonts no one really cares
about but no default alias for condensed fonts.

> No matter
> what you say against it, that font is the most widely available
> candidate.

Not really anymore.

--
Nicolas Mailhot