[Fontconfig] Nimbus Sans L Condensed

Bob Tennent rdtennent at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 10:59:12 PST 2008

 >|>Felix Miata wrote:
 >|
 >|> But applications like Firefox don't see it.
 >|
 >|I did more checking. FF can see it, assuming correct system configuration
 >|serve it up via fontconfig.
 >|https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=198668 is from Mandriva
 >|Cooker,
 >|which matches back at least as far as v2007.0.

I can't access a bugzilla.novell bug 198668. That attachment looks like
a screenshot of Firefox displaying a jpeg. I've looked at the Mandriva
source rpm for fontconfig and I don't see anything related to Condensed.
Have they patched Firefox?

If it can be done using fontconfig, how? Surely someone on this list
would be able to say.  I can certainly match it using

:family="Nimbus Sans L":width=75

but how to make it look like a font-family to Firefox?

 >|It doesn't work in
 >|any other
 >|distros I checked, but Mandriva apparently has proven it possible.
 >|
 >|KDE seems to think it's a TT font, but I suppose that's a bug, since
 >|the only
 >|such font I can locate in the fonts trees in /usr is n019043l.pfb.

On my Fedora system, Nimbus Sans L Condensed doesn't show up at all in
KDE.