[Fontconfig] Compiling fontconfig 2.5.92 on tru64 5.1b

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 5 08:37:26 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Didier Godefroy <ldg at ulysium.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Having trouble compiling fontconfig 2.5.92 on tru64 5.1b
>
>  Making all in fc-arch
>  touch fcalias.h fcaliastail.h
>  source='fc-arch.c' object='fc-arch.o' libtool=no  DEPDIR=.deps depmode=tru64
>  /bin/bash ../depcomp  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../src -I..      -O4
>  -g3 -pthread -c fc-arch.c
>  cc  -O4 -g3 -pthread   -o fc-arch  fc-arch.o
>  rm -f fcarch.h
>  ./fc-arch auto < ../fc-arch/fcarch.tmpl.h > fcarch.h
>  make  all-am
>  Making all in src
>  sh ../src/makealias "../src" fcalias.h fcaliastail.h
>  ../fontconfig/fontconfig.h  ../src/fcdeprecate.h  ../fontconfig/fcprivate.h
>  sh ../src/makealias "../src" fcftalias.h fcftaliastail.h
>  ../fontconfig/fcfreetype.h
>  make  all-am
>  source='fcatomic.c' object='fcatomic.lo' libtool=yes  DEPDIR=.deps
>  depmode=tru64 /bin/bash ../depcomp   -c -o fcatomic.lo fcatomic.c
>  ../depcomp: -c: command not found
>  *** Exit 127
>  Stop.
>  *** Exit 1
>  Stop.
>
>  This was not happening with 2.5.91, so something got broken since.
>  Seems there is something missing between ../depcomp and -c in the makefile.
>  There were many errors I couldn't fix in 2.5.91 so I was hoping those would
>  be corrected in 2.5.92

I think DOLT is messing with the setting of LTCOMPILE, which is the
part that's not getting used. Oh, it looks like dolt does an
AC_SUBST(LTCOMPILE), however, libtool normally puts the LTCOMPILE
setting in make through automake. When you run configure, LTCOMPILE
never gets set, and configure substitutes an empty LTCOMPILE setting
in the Makefile. The AC_SUBST overrides the default setting from
libtool, which was not the intended effect.

That's bad of dolt and breaks the build for any platform where it's
not supported. What's the output of `grep LTCOMPILE fc-arch/Makefile'?

If you want to "fix" this, you'll need the autotools. Comment out the
DOLT line in configure.in and then run autoreconf.

--
Dan