[Fontconfig] Tutorial or guidance for using fontconfig

Robert Kerr rakerr at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 9 11:43:10 PST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I agree with Ed that you should highly consider using pangocairo (pangoft2
> would do it too, but is not developed anymore).  Now, you probably will see
> some resistance as this will introduce a few new dependencies.  But that's
> really the only way to bring full internationalization to your toolkit.

Well, since Pango/cairo are already linked in, perhaps the dependency
issue won't be horrible.

> If you still decide to use fontconfig directly, I always reply to messages
> that are to the point.  True, there is no good guide to read.  But if you ask
> smart questions (like, "I have a family name, how do I find the best font file
> to use?"), you get smart answers.  If you ask stupid questions ("how do I use
> fontconfig?"), you probably don't get any answers.

I can understand your position, but this still points out a problem--i.e.
how does a new developer learn enough to ask smart questions?  For
example, your suggested "smart question" is something that I wouldn't be
able to even think about for awhile.  So really, the question that I was
trying to ask was "How do I get started?" and is the question that there
really isn't anything available to find an answer fore.

That being said, I'm incredibly grateful to everyone on the list who's
been so helpful--I was full of trepidation that I'd be either ignored, or
flamed into a pile of cinders, but you all have been very helpful.

Thanks again

-bob

> Cheers,
> behdad
>
> Robert Kerr wrote:
>> Ed,
>> Thanks for the response.  I appreciate your input.
>>
>> So, my situation is that I'm rather new to the team, and was given this
>> assignment by someone else, and it was suggested that I look into putting
>> fontconfig into the project.  If pango et al already handle what we need,
>> then that drastically reduces the issues I have to deal with.  It would be
>> a case of the person giving me the assignment not having any experience in
>> font issues, and not knowing what route to take for this.
>>
>> I'll certainly look more into what pango/cairo provide, in the hopes that
>> it'll prove a better avenue of exploration.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> -bob
>>

>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Ed Trager wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Robert,
>>>
>>> I don't understand *why* you would want to integrate fontconfig into
>>> VTK.  I assume that VTK only really needs access to high-level string
>>> layout functionality, such as that provided by the Pango, Pango+Cairo,
>>> or Pango+FreeType2 libraries.  So why don't you just go one of those
>>> routes and let Pango/FreeType deal with fontconfig under the hood
>>> somewhere?
>>>
>>> - Ed Trager

-bob

That's as secure as taping a $100 to the floor of a football stadium
bathroom for safekeeping.