[Fontconfig] Tutorial or guidance for using fontconfig

Robert Kerr rakerr at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 9 12:05:16 PST 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Robert Kerr wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> I agree with Ed that you should highly consider using pangocairo
>>> (pangoft2
>>> would do it too, but is not developed anymore).  Now, you probably
>>> will see
>>> some resistance as this will introduce a few new dependencies.  But
>>> that's
>>> really the only way to bring full internationalization to your toolkit.
>>
>> Well, since Pango/cairo are already linked in, perhaps the dependency
>> issue won't be horrible.
>
> Ah, makes a lot of sense then.  It may be a bit more work though.
>

>>> If you still decide to use fontconfig directly, I always reply to
>>> messages
>>> that are to the point.  True, there is no good guide to read.  But if
>>> you ask
>>> smart questions (like, "I have a family name, how do I find the best
>>> font file
>>> to use?"), you get smart answers.  If you ask stupid questions ("how
>>> do I use
>>> fontconfig?"), you probably don't get any answers.
>>>

>> I can understand your position, but this still points out a
>> problem--i.e. how does a new developer learn enough to ask smart
>> questions?  For example, your suggested "smart question" is something
>> that I wouldn't be able to even think about for awhile.  So really, the
>> question that I was trying to ask was "How do I get started?" and is the
>> question that there really isn't anything available to find an answer fore.
>
> Interesting.
>
>> That being said, I'm incredibly grateful to everyone on the list who's
>> been so helpful--I was full of trepidation that I'd be either ignored,
>> or flamed into a pile of cinders, but you all have been very helpful.
>
> Well, we're no weirdos, just your typical free software developers.  From my
> experience over the past couple of years, most of the requests that go
> unanswered are typically asking for 1) more documentation, or 2) help porting
> ABC to embedded platform XYZ.  The former goes unanswered because what's out
> there is all there is available, and the latter goes unanswered because no one
> on the list has any idea what the XYZ platform is or what issues the requester
> is facing.
>

> Cheers,
> behdad

Certainly makes sense.  Although, I know that I have LOADS of free time to
just sit around and play, so I can't see why it should be different for
anyone else!  I mean, don't we all have scads of extra time to write up
tutorials and examples?  Oh, wait, sorry--that's my other life, in
bizzaro-world.

thanks

-bob

>> Thanks again
>>
>> -bob
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> behdad

-bob

That's as secure as taping a $100 to the floor of a football stadium
bathroom for safekeeping.