[Fontconfig] Tutorial or guidance for using fontconfig

Jesper L. Nielsen jln at locatel.dk
Thu Jan 15 02:02:06 PST 2009

Hi Behdad and list..

After poking around, using gprof and other things I found a reason for
spending all the time in Fontconfig. I was calling
pango_ft2_font_map_new() for every object I wanted to draw, and
apparently this function can be reused throughout my application.

Now I'm looking at sharing the fontconfig-cache on NFS, and as each
embedded devices share the same NFS mount, this should be simple
however I have some questions for the format.

1: Since the NFS mount is mounted as read/write, the first embedded
system that boots will create the cache. Does the building of cache
have a lock mechanism, or might this be a race condition?
2: It seems the fontcache leaves a file for every font used as it
runs, and that the filenames have a hostname appended to them? If this
is true, would it at all be possible to generate a fontconfig-cache on
the NFS server, if the embedded system doesn't share the same
hostname? Wouldn't this just generate a whole bunch of files for each
embedded device?
3: Is the format of the cache files platform independent?

Hope I can get some pointers now that I've regained my faith in
FontConfig :)

All the best.
Jesper