[Fontconfig] Family name issue

Krzysztof Kotlenga pocek at users.sf.net
Wed Jul 1 03:17:09 PDT 2009

Ingo Brueckl wrote:

> It seems that all the fixed size (default X11) fonts in my misc font
> directory got 'collected' under the family name 'Fixed' - at least
> that's what 'fc-list : family' tells me.

Yes, that's because all these fonts have "Fixed" in FAMILY_NAME
BDF/pcf property.

> However there are two fonts (the first one's created by me) which
> don't get the family names expected. The font.dir entries are:
>
> 10x18.pcf.gz
> -ib-latin1-medium-r-normal--18-1400-96-96-c-100-iso10646-1
> cursor.pcf.gz cursor
>
> I'd expect names like 'Latin1' and 'Cursor' but get '10x18.pcf' and
> 'cursor.pcf' instead.

Fontconfig doesn't use fonts.* files. You have to set FAMILY_NAME in
the source BDF file and recompile it.

--
The fact is, most software is crap, and most software developers
are lazy and stupid. Same as most customers are stupid too.