[Fontconfig] Marking glyphs as deliberately blank, per font

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Nov 27 13:16:05 PST 2009

On 11/27/2009 06:30 AM, Krzysztof Kotlenga wrote:

> One of the best answers for such statements is: patches welcome. And it
> usually ends the discussion.

That's usually true.  However, in this case, as the Fedora font special
interest group lead, Nicolas has great insight into the current configuration
syntax.  And I asked for his input.

Unfortunately though the problems seem to be much more fundamental than I
thought.  Nicolas is right to the point with problems he brings up.  I'm not
sure I agree with solutions he proposes though.

Alternative solutions, for example, include:

   - Write XSL converters from his proposed simple syntax to fontconfig format,

   - Write a GUI / TUI tool to generate fontconfig confs.

The point being: we all know XML is too verbose to write manually.  That's by
design though.  The solution is to not write it manually...

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't pay too much attention to this right away as I have
to get back to finishing HarfBuzz and other long overdue projects.

Cheers,
behdad

PS. Krzysztof, thanks for contributing to the thread.  You said many things
that I wanted to say.