[Fontconfig] fc-match for monospace?

Fri Oct 16 07:26:17 PDT 2009

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 10/15/2009 11:49 PM, Li, Yan wrote:
>> In-Reply-To=c4b204920909251849u401d8147v8c7e4774c5d124e6 at mail.gmail.com
>>
>> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>> The syntax is "familyname-size:key=value:key=value:..."
>> Thank you for this info. It took me>2h to find it...

>>> http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html
>> The syntax listed above is not document anywhere as to my
>> knowledge. It's very painful for non-fontconfig devs (like me) to
>> learn how to use it. How about add that syntax into manpage?
>
> I copied the format from the html page referenced above.  Check under "Font
> Names".
>
> Patches to man pages are more than welcome.

It's already in the man pages - the "Font Names" section appears in the
fonts.conf man page.   (I know it's not easy to find - took me a while
to find it when I was looking for references to add to the man pages of
the X programs that use Xft, which is why I sprinkled it around those,
to make it easier for users:

     Xdm can be compiled with support for the Xft(3) library  for
     font rendering.   If this support is present, font faces are
     specified using the resources with names ending in  ``face''
     in  the  fontconfig  face format described in the Font Names
     section of fonts.conf(4).  If not, then fonts are  specified
     using  the  resources  with  names ending in ``font'' in the
     traditional X Logical Font Description format  described  in
     the Font Names section of X(5).

Those are the Solaris/SysV section references - should be fonts.conf(5)
on BSD/Linux I think.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com