[Fontconfig] fontconfig/freetype: resolving glyph index from another font when base font does not contain particular glyph

Derek Leach DLeach at qnx.com
Fri Aug 27 08:26:13 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I have fontconfig and freetype installed, and "working" for rendering
"base" fonts, i.e. the family name is resolved properly, like Arial, and
if the glyph is contained within that font, all the rendering proceeds.

Now, I need to figure out what is necessary to "properly" implement
glyph fallback ...

1)       What API calls do I use to request fontconfig, given a glyph
index, or character code, to find the font which contains the glyph I
need?

2)       I know fontconfig contains a map of the glyph indices within
the font, so is the process obtaining a list of font faces from
fontconfig, and iterating them one by one, or does fontconfig have a
more direct approach?

I guess the above two questions are the same, but I just wanted to
clarify things even further.  I will look at Pango, but if some can
provide me with the "simple/direct" approach for accomplishing this, I
would truly appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

-Derek