[Fontconfig] fontconfig & font tree list

Samuel Brassard samuel_brassard at uqac.ca
Mon Feb 22 01:24:24 PST 2010

Hello everyone.

I have always been irritated by the fact that fonts always show as only
one alphabetical list. A real annoyance for people with lots of fonts
installed. How come it has never changed? Wouldn't it be nice if
fontconfig returned data that would allow programs to produce a
user-created font tree list? Something like :

All fonts >
  (regular alphabetical list of fonts)
Fonts I like the best >
     Baskerville
     Times New Roman
Japanese fonts >
  MSゴシック
  MS明朝
Fonts I use for work >
  Baskerville
  Japanese >
    MSゴシック
    MS明朝
Cool pop fonts >
  SweetCandy Ninja
  SweetCandy Ninja Bold

The tree list would originate from ~./fonts.conf :

<match target="font">
	<edit name="usersort" mode="append_last"><string>Japanese
fonts</string></edit>
	<edit name="usersort" mode="append_last"><string>Fonts I use at
work\Japanese</string></edit>
</match>

How does that sound? Am I looking at the right place anyway?
I think I could try to put my hands into that.