[Fontconfig] fontconfig user settings not applied when not using login manager (gdm)

Pedro Ribeiro pedrib at gmail.com
Thu May 20 02:05:18 PDT 2010

On 20 May 2010 00:36, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 11:11 AM, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>> On 19 May 2010 15:07, Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I purging my desktop of unneeded apps and one of the things I don't
>>> need is a display manager (*dm).
>>> Currently I have gdm installed. However, when I login through one of
>>> the tty's and use startx to start my session manager (openbox in my
>>> case), my fontconfig user settings do not get applied.
>>>
>>> I've tried using FC_DEBUG=1024 to see what files are loaded and indeed
>>> it says it loads ~/.fonts.conf, but it completely ignores my settings
>>> (slight hinting, greyscale).
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me a hint on why they are only applied when I login through gdm?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Pedro
>
> You need gnome-settings-daemon running.
>
> behdad
>
>> Nevermind, I just realized what is wrong. Sorry for the spam.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pedro

Actually the problem was that I had .xsession and .xinitrc in my home
and it confused X (have no idea why). Removing those files and
starting my default session (openbox-session) works like a charm, and
my ~/.fonts.conf and ~/.Xresources (which mirrors the first). I
already got rid of gnome-settings-daemon since I do not have GNOME
anymore.

Regards,
Pedro