[Fontconfig] family_name for the font without ASCII names

Jerry Casiano jerrycasiano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:56:37 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 14:45 +0900, suzuki toshiya wrote:

> During the registration of them to tricky font lists,
> I found that these fonts lack ASCII family name. Their
> name tables are for MacJapanese (ShiftJIS) and Microsoft
> Unicode. In both names, the family names are in Japanese,
> not English.
> In such case, current FreeType2 replaces non-ASCII
> character in non-ASCII family name by "?". Thus,
> FT_Face->family_name is set by broken string. There
> is a possibility that the different fonts will have
> same broken family name. However, the PostScript name of
> the fonts I found are still in ASCII.

This happens with a lot of fonts. I think the issue is that you're using
FT_Face->family_name by default rather than as a last resort. At least
that was my mistake. ;-)

I'm not sure what you're trying to do or what your requirements are but
wouldn't it be better to get the info you need directly from FontConfig?
or at least as much of it as possible.

For example, using FcConfigAppFontAddFile() and FcFreeTypeQueryFace()