[Fontconfig] A couple of noobie questions

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 03:58:28 PST 2011

Q1:-

As I wrote last week, I've built FontConfig using Visual C++ (I need it for another project I'm working on).  I finally got the other project built yesterday and started testing it.  I've placed fonts.conf in the following Windows folder:-

C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/

and my other ".conf" files are in subfolders called "conf.avail" and "conf.d".  The very first time time I ran my app I saw hundreds of errors (possibly from FreeType) taking the following form:-

FT_Stream_open: could not open 'C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/local/etc/fonts/conf.avail/80-delicious.conf/..namedfork/rsrc

FT_Stream_open: could not open 'C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/local/etc/fonts/conf.avail/80-delicious.conf/rsrc

FT_Stream_open: could not open 'C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/local/etc/fonts/conf.avail/resource.frk/80-delicious.conf

FT_Stream_open: could not open 'C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/local/etc/fonts/conf.avail/.resource/80-delicious.conf

It was as if FontConfig (or FreeType) was expecting certain folders or symbolic links or something which I hadn't set up.  The next time I ran it I got no error messages so I assumed that either FontConfig or FreeType had set up whatever it needs.  However, I can't see anything new, over and above what I created myself.  Is this normal behaviour?

Q2:-

I noticed that "fonts.conf" expects me to specify a font directory list and a font cache directory list.  In my case, they'll probably only have one entry each.  Is it okay for them to specify the same folder or do they need to be different?

John