[Fontconfig] how to recognize a fallback character

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Aug 22 08:15:17 PDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 10:57 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Folks,
>
> we have a problem within lilypond.  This is probably a pango question
> also, but let's start here :-)

I'd like to hear more about the problem.

> Is there a way for fontconfig to signal that it has found a fallback
> font instead of the requested one?  Or to say it differently: How can
> an application find out whether fontconfig returns an exact match, a
> user-defined alias (counting probably as an exact match), a good
> match, and bad match, and no match at all?

Hard.  One way I have suggested to people in the past is to load a font for
the following two patters: "SomeFamilyName,sans" and "SomeFamilyName,serif".
If the two fonts have the same family name, you got a match, otherwise a fallback.

But hearing lilypond, I smell you want to load a font you are shipping
yourself.  I assume lilypond uses Unicode-encoded musical symbols and pango to
render them?  That's really cool.  There are ways to force pangofc to load the
font you want, they are just not documented.  I'll be happy to explain those.

behdad