[Fontconfig] Problem with webcore symbol fonts in 2.8+ (using pango)

Kieran kieran.mccusker at kwest.co
Thu Aug 30 09:42:49 PDT 2012

On 29/08/2012 04:41, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Kieran <kieran.mccusker at kwest.info> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is the right list but I'm using fc17 and have installed
>> the Microsoft webcore fonts (using yum install
>> webcore-fonts-3.0-1.noarch.rpm)
>>
>> the standard fonts are fine but the symbol fonts don't show any charset
>> (and don't display any characters).
> That result came from the Apple Roman cmap support in fontconfig and
> removed since 2.9.0 because it caused a trouble. basically there are
> nothing relationship to languages in symbol fonts and there are no way
> to know what characters they have in Unicode unless they are Unicode
> font or following any standard. so no charset in the result.
>
> This is expected behavior in a symbol font.

Hi

Sorry for bothering this list again. My problem is that I want to use
these fonts with pango.

If I try to use pango-view --font="webdings" /etc/passwd on the fc14 box
all is well. On the fc17 box it drops back to arial and in my
application which produces PDFs it produces a little sqiggle. Is it
possible to use these fonts using pango with the latest stack?

Many Thanks

Kieran