[Fontconfig] Another try at blocking fallback

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Wed Dec 19 06:25:24 PST 2012

Wendell P wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 09:25 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>> do you want to do that with/without
>> Pango right? as Khaled Hosny suggested, it can be done in Pango
>
> I wanted to block fallback for just one user. It seems that is not
> possible.
>
> As I understand, the solution with Pango requires making a special build
> of libpango. That would make it awkward to switch back and forth.

No, I think you could get away with subclassing (or using a patched
version of) GtkTextView and GtkTextLayout in your app. (Their current
API doesn't seem to allow setting arbitrary PangoAttributes.)

> It seems the only configuration solution is to disable fallback for the
> whole system. What is the cleanest way to do that? I tried renaming the
> files in /etc/fonts/conf.avail, but that had no effect.

I think any fontconfig-based approach to control Pango's fallback can
only be the second-best solution because Pango knows the context a lot
better. fontconfig doesn't know whether a requested font for a certain
lang is going to be used for a large chunk of text, or only a single
character.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>