[Fontconfig] Composite Font Representation

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 25 08:15:40 PDT 2012

Le Mer 25 juillet 2012 16:53, suzuki toshiya a écrit :
> Behdad, thank you for triggering the discussion on ISO CFR.
>
> Also I'm interested in the discussion about which existing library
> is the most appropriate place to support ISO Composite Font
> Representation,
> or, new library is required. In the earliest phase of ISO CFR discussion
> in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 font AHG, the object created by one CFR was
> expected to be looking like as a single font face object (and the client
> is not required to care if it is from single font file, or composite
> font).
>
> In my understanding, fontconfig does not provide a font face "object",
> so new thin layer above fontconfig & freetype is expected.

The droid rules I posted recently are an example on how fontconfig can
compose separate font files in a single font face from the application
POV. Therefore I don't think a new layer is needed, but the composing
engine in fontconfig is clearly struggling to compose real-world font
files, which overlap and are not nicely broken in separate script blocks

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=google-droid-fonts.git;a=tree

--
Nicolas Mailhot