[Fontconfig] Heads up: Droid fonts update in Rawhide

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Thu Jul 26 03:57:32 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Raimund Steger <rs at mytum.de> wrote:
> But it wouldn't be picked, even without 'lang' rules, at least it isn't on
> my machine. Even if I use target="scan" to assign a single family name to
> all Droid fonts, the 'lang' of DroidSansJapanese.ttf will still only be
> 'ja', and won't be taken into account when enumerating or matching fonts for
> a different locale:
>
> sun2:~)fc-list ':lang=ja' file family | grep DroidSansJapanese
> /export/pub/fonts/Droid/DroidSansJapanese.ttf: Droid Serif,Droid Sans
>
> sun2:~)fc-list ':lang=zh' file family | grep DroidSansJapanese

Aha. you're right. so just getting rid of testing lang from
DroidSansJapanese and DroidSansFallback may works then.

> That's what I wonder. Imagine someone created a document in a word processor
> on Android, or maybe on Windows. Would they be able to directly choose
> 'Droid Sans Japanese' etc. out of their selector? If not, then you're right
> and it makes sense to hide the name. If yes, then fontconfig should
> enumerate the original full name, and maybe provide the usual 2-way fallback
> from/to 'Droid Sans'.

They can. speaking of Android, their API is capable to open a font
with the aliases, the specific family name and from the file as apps
can has a font in their assets. though they don't use fontconfig to
find out the substitute font.

--
Akira TAGOH