[Fontconfig] Heads up: Droid fonts update in Rawhide

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Fri Jul 27 03:42:30 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Raimund Steger <rs at mytum.de> wrote:
> (2) if family Y *is* a real family, then the <alias> rule might cause its
> language to be ignored (at least without any additional rules) if someone
> uses FcFontMatch to ask for Y with strong binding, as that will override
> 'lang'. Conversely, if someone expects to *always* get Y regardless of
> language when asking for it, they won't be able to do it with the
> target="scan" rule. (This has the potential to cause some user frustration I
> think.)

Not really. I managed to do it with mode="prepend" instead of
mode="append" for this case.

So my conclusion so far for unifying font families is:

1. basically this can be done in target="scan".
2. better use mode="append" in <edit> for virtual fonts. this saves
one to have substitution rule in <alias>.
3. better use mode="prepend" in <edit> for real font substitution. it
ensure keep the family name in the query to the result.

just attached the example.

Well, I personally don't like to use Droid Fallback for Japanese. so
want to add more rules like the following to avoid it:

<match target="scan">
  <test="family" ignore-blanks="yes">
    <string>Droid Sans Fallback</string>
  </test>