[Fontconfig] Request for implementing font substitution for CJK fonts

BlissSam m13253 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 04:08:02 PDT 2012

Sorry for the delay of this mail. For I am busy these couple of days.

So let us provide a tool to generate fallback rules instead of making user write XML conf on their own from scratch.
Also it can generate some other things useful (e.g. preference, anti-alias and so on).

And I think the current syntax of fallback rules is so complicated that I cannot understand--Mapping specific to generic, and map generic to specific, and other stuff. I don't know if what I said right, but I want this mechanism to be simpler.
Simply allow a method of `bind' some font families together and tell fontconfig that these fonts are `compatible', so fontconfig will choose other fonts if one is missing.

And the font substitution can be more smart, user can specify whether only to fallback when a font is missing, or to replace whenever that font is installed; also, some users may want to substitute only on screen or when printing.