[Fontconfig] FreeType now includes Infinality subpixel support

pgajdos at suse.cz pgajdos at suse.cz
Thu Jun 21 00:33:20 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:56:14PM -0500, Infinality wrote:
> like OpenSUSE are planning on using subpixel hinting by default now that it's

Hmm, I have packaged fontconfig-infinality for users that are able to
compile Freetype with subpixel rendering. We surely cannot ship this
library with subpixel hinting support compiled in if this is covered
by patents as described for example here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering#Patents

So strict lawyer's clarification is needed here.

> in Freetype.  Other distros have packages that are available too.  More people
> will likely be using subpixel hinting now that it's in Freetype, so having
> documentation as to "what settings do what" might be good.  If you need me to

Definitely.

> help you out with that, I'd be more than willing.  I do have my git repo of
> "fontconfig-infinality" which contains TT fonts that I know work well with
> subpixel hinting.  Perhaps that could be somehow incorporated into fontconfig
> itself, now that subpixel hinting is in Freetype??

Yes. I guess it would be great something like two "styles" (using your language
from fontconfig-infinality) at least for linux one using subpixel
hinting and one that doesn't.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for you work,
Petr