[Fontconfig] fontconfig-2.8 Emmentaler-20 matching

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed May 30 23:01:17 PDT 2012

[I'm forwarding this mail to the fontconfig list (with omissions),
since it is indeed a problem IMHO]

> [...] [I] found that fontconfig 2.8 no longer selects Emmentaler-20.
>
> I found that escaping the dash helps fc-match, but cannot get
> GnomeCanvas' text method to do the same.  I just dropped
> emmentaler-20.otf in ~/.fonts and it's nicely in fc-list
>
> $ fc-scan ~/.fonts/emmentaler-20.otf
> Pattern has 19 elts (size 32)
> 	family: "Emmentaler-20"(s)
> 	familylang: "en"(s)
> 	style: "20"(s)
> 	stylelang: "en"(s)
> 	fullname: "Emmentaler-20"(s)
> 	fullnamelang: "en"(s)
> 	slant: 0(i)(s)
> 	weight: 100(i)(s)
> 	width: 100(i)(s)
> 	foundry: "unknown"(s)
> 	file: "/home/janneke/.fonts/emmentaler-20.otf"(s)
>       [...]

> $ fc-match Emmentaler-20
> DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

> $ fc-match Emmentaler\-20
> DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

> $ fc-match Emmentaler\\-20
> emmentaler-20.otf: "Emmentaler-20" "20"

> $ fc-list | grep Emmentaler
> Emmentaler\-20:style=20

fontconfig's behaviour doesn't look right to me.  Why gets a `-'
character replaced with `\-' in the font name?  Additionally, there is
a discrepancy between the output of fc-scan and fc-list, since the
former doesn't show `\-'.

    Werner