[Fontconfig] Select by name + properties (italic/width)?

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Wed Oct 10 18:47:21 PDT 2012

Well, it sounds like what you want to do is to make a substitution
font for Arial and Arial condensed etc. just putting the following
rule into $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf, or $HOME/.fonts.conf if
you are using 2.9.0 or earlier:

<alias>
  <family>Arial</family>
</alias>

With this rule, fontconfig will returns Arial condensed when requesting Arial.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:50 AM, mathog <mathog at caltech.edu> wrote:
> This does raise a question though.  If a document is prepared on a system
> that has, for instance, "Arial condensed",
> and it must be handled on a system which just has "Arial" (and for
> argument's sake, no other condensed fonts)
> how does one deal with the situation?  Is there a way to convince FreeType
> to expand/contract the Arial font that
> it does have?  Does FontConfig have anything to do with this process?
>
> I know there is: FT_Set_Char_Size() which has separate char width and height
> fields.  If the width/height were
> changed from 0/height  to (some fraction of the height)/height, would this
> accomplish the desired effect?
>

> Thank you,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu