[Fontconfig] I'm wondering about binding"strong|same|weak"

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Mon Sep 10 19:00:12 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Mait <mattengi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I only know should use "strong" or "same" for font substitution.

That depends on what you want to do. "same" means any object on
editing will have same precedence to the binding on matching. this is
to respect the existing rules and you can use it if you don't
particularly have any reason to give higher/lower priority to it. if
you think it should has a priority, then it would be better using
"strong" binding and vice versa. this binding information affects
estimating the best font according to various rules.

Anyway, just trying something would be faster and easier to see what's
going on. setting FC_DEBUG environment like FC_DEBUG=4 would gives you
more information how fontconfig figure it out.

HTH,

> I've read whole fonts-conf man page. But I don't understand about these well.
>
> Please explain me like I'm 5! :)
>
> When should I use strong|same|weak?
>
> Thanks.
> --