[Fontconfig] RFC: new API proposal for FcPattern iterator

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Sep 24 19:35:54 PDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 10:28 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> So as the developer, I personally failed to find any useful. current
> proposal can do things with same or near costs to current
> implementation. so FcPatternGet*() might be replaced by them in the
> future perhaps.
>
> I may be missing something else. if I'm wrong, please correct me.

You're not missing anything.  Indeed, with my proposed solution, there will be
some extra work happening during the lookups.  I don't think we should be
concerned by that though, if we don't know of any usecases where that would be
a measurable performance issue.

Plus, in the thread-safety work I'm currently doing, I'm replacing with object
lookup hash table with something static and faster, so I'm fairly sure the
overhead will not be a problem in any realistic usecase.

Moreover, we can add the simple API that addresses the API gap, and always add
an iterator API later if we really see a real performance issue with the
simple API.

Up to you in the end.

Cheers,

behdad