[Fontconfig] More on expressiveness of the config language

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Jan 3 23:47:55 PST 2013

I'm trying to write the uncontroversial default bitmap font resizing rules,
but I think I'm stuck and need more expressiveness.  In particular, in <test>
expressions I think it's useful to have a target="pattern" also.

This is the logic I hope we can all agree on:

If match target="font":
  if not scalable:
    pixelsizefixupfactor = pixelsize[pattern] / pixelsize[font]
    if pixelsize[pattern] >= 64 or !hinting or
       (hinting && (pixelsizefixupfactor > 1.2 ||
                    pixelsizefixupfactor < 0.8))
    set matrix to resize

I think all of that can be done except for the part for "pixelsize[pattern] >=
64".  That also can be done by first assigning that to an element of the font
pattern using the new <name target="pattern"> and examining that after.
Perhaps that's all I should do.  But I thought I ask if people think a
target="pattern" is more useful in <test> elements?

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/