[Fontconfig] Prgname and font-features?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Jan 10 14:31:34 PST 2013

Hi,

I just pushed a change to Pango that allows one to enable OpenType font
features through fontconfig configs.  For example:

<match target="font">
  <edit name="pangofontfeatures" mode="append">
    <string>smcp</string>
    <string>ss20</string>
  </edit>
</match>

But I figured this is probably of interest to more than just Pango.  Shall we
upstream this?

Another element type I have in Pango that may be worth upstreaming is
"pangoprgname", which pango sets to the output of g_get_prgname().  If you are
running gedit, it expands to gedit.  It's useful for doing per-app
configuration.  Any interest in upstreaming that?

Of course upstreaming these is only the first part.  One has to go chase all
fontconfig users to actually respect these.  But to me, I'm really interested
in enabling features and implement them correctly in the font stack I
maintain, and let others pick it up for their favorite system.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/