[Fontconfig] About fontconfig.pc

Daniel Macks dmacks at netspace.org
Thu Jul 11 21:09:58 PDT 2013

This solution does not seem correct. The whole point of the ".private"
fields in the .pc file is to distinguish things that are used
internally (such as libxml and libiconv) from things that are part of
the public interface (#include in the public headers, etc.). In a
shared-library system, one does *not* want to publish the flags for
internal-use-only details (a program or library that uses fontconfig
should not care about or want to link directly against them).

The original problem is because in a *static* world, one does need to
link against all the internal-use libraries because static libs
obviously do not have dynamic-loader links. One can have pkg-config
emit the .private fields along with the normal ones (the user can
control this feature). Or else a library author can have the data go in
.private vs regular by checking whether a shared library is being
built. I don't know any modern packages that do so, but some
older/legacy ones do, back when static libs were more popular.

dan

Thanks. fixed in git.