[Fontconfig] Courier New overrides monospace

Trung Ngo ndtrung4419 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 10:00:57 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

There's a locale-specific behavior that I find confusing. By default, as
is defined in /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf, the monospace font is
matched from a list of "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono; DejaVu Sans Mono;
[...] ; Courier New; [...]". On my system, I have Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono installed so normally, "monospace" resolves to it. The problem is,
in some locales (vi_VN in my case), Courier New overrides the default
list to become "monospace". It's purplexing that I cannot find any
references that can explain this in /etc/fonts/conf.d.

With a simple bash script, I've generated a list of all monospace font
per locale here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5874585/

Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature, how can I turn it off
since Courier New is a horrible font on Linux.

I'm using Debian Unstable and fontconfig version 2.9.0-7.1

Cheers.