[Fontconfig] Courier New overrides monospace

Trung Ngo ndtrung4419 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 23:57:26 PDT 2013

Ngày 15/07/2013 00:50, Felix Miata viết:
> On 2013-07-15 00:00 (GMT+0700) Trung Ngo composed:
>
>> Courier New is a horrible font on Linux.
>
> Unbolded Courier New is an ugly font everywhere its stem weight isn't at
> least 2px (>36px). http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Font/fontm-cour.html#pixel

Thanks for the confirmation :D

I'm answering my own question here. Through a simple fc-query query, I
figure out Courier New is the first font in the list that has full
Vietnamese coverage and is, therefore, preferred.

I suggest we remove Courier New from 60-latin.conf since
ergonomics-wise, such a thinly rendered font should never be considered
as a default. Liberation Mono, as its metric-compatible alternative with
similar language coverage should be chosen instead.