[Fontconfig] Fwd: [ft-announce] FreeType now supports color emojis

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed May 29 11:40:36 PDT 2013

You may remember that I was making sure bitmap scaling works in
fontconfig+cairo.  Now to the color part and how it affects fontconfig:

  1. Like all rendering options, we need a new element for it, and we should
probably match on it too,

  2. When scanning fonts, mark a font as color if any bitmap strike has color
glyphs.  May be good to add FreeType API for this,

  3. If user requests FC_COLOR=false and a font with FC_COLOR=true is chosen,
well, I can't make my mind about what should happen.   If the font pattern
inherits the false, then the client can disable requesting color from FreeType
and the glyphs will be flattened to opacity maps.  So we definitely don't want
to lose the original request.  One way to do this is like the FC_PIXELSIZE
hack that I did, ie. copying FC_COLOR from pattern to font in a config
snippet.  I don't really like this option,

  4. Add a generic category for "emoji" to alias to common free emoji fonts?

Any other ideas?

behdad